birding-aus

Wildlifing update: New Zealand part 2- Kaikoura to Nugget Point

To: birding-aus <>
Subject: Wildlifing update: New Zealand part 2- Kaikoura to Nugget Point
From: Michael Todd <>
Date: Fri, 06 Jan 2006 17:46:16 +1100
Hello all,

I've provided some more New Zealand photographs on my website (www.wildlifing.com). In part 2 I've covered Kaikoura, Arthurs Pass and the Otago Peninsula.

At Kaikoura I went on a pelagic with Albatross Encounters at 630am I think. Probably unnecessarily early in actual fact but I was hoping for some interesting light for photography. The light was amazing on the snow-covered mountains in the background but it was a bit dark on the birds flying around the boat. Saw some great birds though including Royal Albatross (northern and southern), Shy Albatross (Salvins and NZ white-capped), Wanderings, Giant Petrels (northern and southern) and quite a few others as well. I'm no seabird expert but it was a great couple of hours- far too short! The continental shelf is quite close to shore here and as result you don't need to go far offshore to be amongst the seabirds.

At Arthur's Pass I had my first encounter with the cheeky Kea. I had quite a few more adventures with Kea while I was in NZ. On the Otago Peninsula (near Dunedin) I stayed at Penguin Place and was guided through the trenches that have been built through their Yellow-eyed Penguin colony. Penguin Place is on a working sheep property with a visitor's centre, accommodation and a fenced off rehabilitated section where the penguins breed. As a result of the underground trench and hide system I was able to have some close encounters with breeding penguins. It was a wonderful experience. Seeing the penguin coming up the beach towards us in the late afternoon light was especially memorable.

Unfortunately I was 2 days too early to be guided into the Royal Albatross breeding colony at Taiaroa Head. I was able to see the occasional albatross flying over the visitor's centre but the actual colony was out of sight.

Next I'll show some of my Stewart Island photos.

Cheers

Mick

PS. I've added some new address details for people that can be written to if you would like to oppose the proposed Awaba open cut coal mine that will impact on the Masked Owls that live there.

--
Michael Todd Wildlifing Images & Sounds of Nature
Latest Additions: New Zealand (Kaikoura, Arthurs Pass, Otago Peninsula)