birding-aus

The rarer waders at WTP, Werribee

Subject: The rarer waders at WTP, Werribee
Date: Wed, 4 Jan 2006 08:49:32 +1100
Dear Birding-Ausers,

Along with quite a number of other observers, Fred Smith, Ro and I were
at the Western Treatment Plant at Werribee on Monday looking for some of
the rarer waders that have been reported in the last couple of weeks.

Jim Caine has already reported that there were three Long-toed Stints
present at
the eastern 35E Conservation Pond.  It was a bit of a surprise to see
three together as, to my knowledge, only one had been reported
previously.  So, they were all in the eastern pond together, about 1/3rd
of the way back from the eastern end right against the north shore of
the pond, which is an area they seem to like currently.  There are
currently 100's of waders on these two ponds.  We sorted through some of
them and also found 1 Wood Sandpiper and 3 Red Knots.

We looked for the Red-necked Phalarope at 85WC Pond, but didn't find
it.  However, other birders reported it there earlier so it is still
around.
(This was confirmed by Russell yesterday).

We didn't see anything rare at Walsh's lagoon (except the almost
resident Black-tailed Godwits, some more Red Knots and a white-winged
Tern)
or at Paradise Road (except Jim's Freckled Ducks).

However, acting on a report of an Australian Pratincole at Ryan's Swamp,
we went there and circumnavigated it.  It has some water right in the
middle with 100's of Sharp-tailed Sandpipers and other larger
waterbirds, including some Glossy Ibis and Latham's Snipe.  But, there
were also at least
one, probably two Pectoral Sandpipers and at least one, and possibly
two, Oriental Pratincoles.  (So, the latter weren't flying to the You
Yangs or beyond from Walsh's Lagoon, only to Ryan's.)  We didn't see any
Australian Pratincoles.

Chris