birding-aus

Advanced Preparation

To: "Alan Gillanders" <>, "birding-aus" <>
Subject: Advanced Preparation
From: Carol Probets <>
Date: Fri, 30 Dec 2005 13:48:09 +1100
Hi all,

Alan Gillanders asked if anyone else had records of birds building their nest well in advance of laying eggs. The only example that springs to my mind is the Superb Lyrebird, who will sometimes build the "cradle" or stick platform (the foundation upon which the nest chamber is placed) a year or more in advance. This structure is like a large, sturdy bowl of interlaced sticks, thickly lined with moss and I have often come across these, without any further progress made, on rock ledges or other similar situations. Occasionally one will be completed and used in a subsequent year with the addition of the domed nest chamber.

This phenomenon is also mentioned in L.H. Smith's book "The Life of the Lyrebird" (1988), page 47.

Whether these incomplete structures are built primarily as advance preparation, or for practice, or simply due to the bird changing her mind about the nest's location, I don't know. Here in the Blue Mountains I generally find many more of of these "cradles" than complete nests.

Cheers

Carol

Carol Probets
Katoomba