birding-aus

Sightings from Vic and southern NSW, including Ground Cuckooshrikes

Subject: Sightings from Vic and southern NSW, including Ground Cuckooshrikes
From: "Peter Ewin" <>
Date: Wed, 28 Dec 2005 12:15:45 +1100
I read this with interest yesterday, and passed on to the Ranger who is in charge of Oolambeyan NP (who was less than impressed). If people want to visit this reserve please not the following things:

1. If you want to visit please contact NPWS at Griffith first on 02 6966 8100. 2. Currently there are no facilities for camping in the reserve so currently it only has day use facilities. Normally a Field Officer lives on site, and he would have probably asked you to move on (he happened to be away that weekend). 3. There is a long-term monitoring program for Plains Wanderer on the park, so it prefereable that people do not attempt to spotlight without supervision. This is particularly relevant as we don't wan't vehicles driving in the long grass because of the extremely high fire danger.

I have been fortunate as an NPWS employee I have spotlit (on foot) and seen Plains Wanderer at Ooolambeyan NP. It is hoped that some time in the future NPWS will be able to offer this experience to the general public (though in limited numbers). Until this is organised, it would be preferable that people did not try and spotlight unsupervised in the reserve. Otherwise, do as most people who have seen this species - organise to go on a tour with Phil Maher from Deniliquin.

Sorry to get all government official at Christmas time.

Cheers,
Peter