birding-aus

postscript

To: "birding aus" <>
Subject: postscript
From: "Stephen Keen" <>
Date: Tue, 27 Dec 2005 22:49:01 -0000
Hello again Oz

before I sign off a few things to sort out. After the trip, and just for fun, Phil and I wrote down our top ten birds; these are listed below in case anyone cares, and maybe as a hint of how our minds work (or don't) on these trips.
We must thank all those who gave us assistance prior to the trip. Most of what we saw was due to either the superb guide by Thomas & Thomas or a lot of help from quite a few people, both in the preparation and whilst down under. I won't name anyone, in case I inadvertently miss someone out, but you know who are and rest assured we are eternally grateful. If any of you are in the south of England give us a shout and maybe we can share some birds and some beers. This includes a number of people (to whom we extend very sincere apologies) who went to alot of trouble to provide gen for areas and species we didn't actually end up going for. We do feel very guilty!

Thanks again to you all, and here's those boring lists:

PHIL BYSH'S TOP TEN:

1 Wandering Albatross (that's the easy bit)
2 Carpentarian Grasswren
3 Gibberbird (I know Yellow Chat is rarer but we knew we'd get it - we found our own Gibberbirds!)
4 Chowchilla
5 Red-footed Booby
6 Beach Thick-knee
7 Inland Dotterel (the one that nearly got away)
8 Splendid Fairy-Wren
9 Short-tailed Shearwater (big colonies always get me going!)
10 Gang-gang Cockatoo

STEVE KEEN'S TOP TEN:

1 Wandering Albatross (far too easy)
2 Chowchilla (what jizz, and what a tease)
3 Carpentarian Grasswren
4 Buff-breasted paradise Kingfisher
5 Powerful Owl
6 Yellow Chat (so what, it's rarer! And better looking)
7 Wompoo Fruit-Dove (without doubt call of the trip. Wallock a woo. Tee hee every time)
8 White-winged Fairy-Wren
9 Papuan Frogmouth
10 Spinifex Pigeon