birding-aus

Tameness in some N Z birds

To: bird <>
Subject: Tameness in some N Z birds
From: Syd Curtis <>
Date: Fri, 23 Dec 2005 16:12:15 +1000

On one of my walks of the Milford Track ('98, maybe) I had just crossed the
Arthur River on the last day of the walk.  The vegetation grew right to the
side of the high bridge on the western bank.  I like to think that the
family of Grey Fantails were waiting for walkers to cross.  Mother Fantail
and three juveniles.

I paused to admire the view down the river and immediately the notorious
Milford sandflies** attacked.  This was what the birds were waiting for.
The three juveniles deftly picked off the sandflies in mid-air just inches
in front of my face, while Mother admired their newly developed aerial
dexterity.  Unfortunately a few of the attackers were getting through the
guard and as I react very severely to sandfly bites, I had to move on.  But
it was a happy experience.

A happy holiday season and a prosperous 2006 to all on birding-aus and the
birds we love.

Syd Curtis

**  They are HUGE!  I was told that one landed on the Milford aero pad and
the locals refuelled it before they realized what it was.  :-)