birding-aus

Great news re Capertee heliport proposal

Subject: Great news re Capertee heliport proposal
From: Carol Probets <>
Date: Wed, 21 Dec 2005 16:35:05 +1100
Hi Birders,

You might remember earlier this year I wrote about a proposal to build a heliport at Capertee (NSW) for the purpose of the developer operating helicopter joy-flights over the Capertee Valley and other surrounding areas. This of course would threaten the tranquility and birding amenity in this exceptionally bird-rich area. Many of you responded with letters to Lithgow Council while some birding and other environment groups spent considerable time and energy putting together detailed submissions.

Well, I'm very pleased to report that on Monday night 19th Dec, Lithgow Councillors voted to reject the proposal. The word I've received (I couldn't attend the meeting myself) is that the decision was unanimous, or close to it, with "public amenity" being the key idea. Not unexpectedly, the proponent has decided to exercise his right to appeal the decision in the Land & Environment Court. However I believe it is unlikely the decision will be overturned.

I'd like to thank all the individual birders and birding clubs who wrote letters. This was all very much a group effort and all the letters from the birding community, from near and far, certainly helped to draw the Councillors' attention to the great importance of the valley as a birdwatching location. Thanks to everyone who supported this cause the valley will remain a traquil place and birding will continue to be as enjoyable as ever there.

I encourage you to show your appreciation of this courageous decision by congratulating the Councillors (c/- Neville Castle, Mayor of Lithgow, and most of all by continuing to visit the area and patronise local businesses and accommodation - and let them know you are there to see birds and enjoy the peaceful environment.

Cheers

Carol

Carol Probets
Blue Mountains/Capertee Valley, NSW