birding-aus

Mallacoota, Vic, 8-13 Dec

To: <>
Subject: Mallacoota, Vic, 8-13 Dec
From: "Ingwersen, Dean" <>
Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2005 22:20:52 +1100
Hi all,

Firstly, a huge thanks to all who replied to my RFI for Mallacoota - made life
much easier!  Saw a total of 91 species for the week without really trying that
hard.  The highlights for me were:

*       Tawny-crowned Honeyeater and Southern Emu-wren in coastal heathland
near Shipwreck Creek.  Awesome habitat.  Unfortunately dipped on Ground Parrot
even with a solid 6-8 kms walking.  Apparently 4-5 were seen on Howe Flat a few
days before by bushwalkers.
*       Wonga Pigeon - feeding from seed tray at Gypsy Point Apartments, as
well as seeing them along several other walks (very approachable).
*       Glossy Black Cockatoo - a pair were feeding in trees next to track up
to Genoa Peak (could be heard from the car!)
*       Leaden Flycatcher - walk at Gypsy Point (which was abruptly ended when
I nearly stood on a ~5 ft Tiger Snake and my wife decided her
birding/bushwalking career can have a slight hiatus!!)
*       Eastern Curlew and Little Tern - Mallacoota Inlet
*       Azure Kingfisher and Topknot Pigeon - seen from a river cruise we did
from Gypsy Point up the Genoa River (crippling views of the kingfisher from the
boat)
*       Rufous Fantail and Brown Gerygone - both seen along Double Creek walk,
and Brown Gerygone also common along Shady Creek and Pittosporum walks in town.
*       Hooded Plover - pair at Pebbly Beach, on the way to Shipwreck Creek.
*       Beautiful Firetail - along road to Shipwreck Creek.

Unfortunately also dipped on seeing Black-faced Monarch, although I did hear a
couple, and Scarlet Honeyeater (although a local birder told me they haven't
shown up this year in the area).  So.... 91 birds, 4 snakes, no parasitic
ticks, but a few ticks to go in the field guide!  Thanks again to all for their
help.

Cheers, Dean