birding-aus

Satin Flycatchers

To: "Birding-aus" <>
Subject: Satin Flycatchers
From: "Birding Services Brisbane" <>
Date: Thu, 15 Dec 2005 13:06:49 +1000
Good to see some debate going on regarding this species (as has happened in the past). The New Atlas of Australian Birds has no breeding records for Queensland. As Queensland Facilitator and SE Queensland Co-ordinator for the Atlas, I looked at a number of possible breeding records but they all turned out to be Leaden Flycatchers. There were a lot of misidentifications of Leadens as Satins during the period of the Atlas. I have looked at Bill's photos and agree with Chris' call. For someone who is out birding much of the time, I see very few Satin Flycatchers. Then it is usually between late September and mid November as they are migrating. In SE Queensland I have seen them at Samsonvale (where Tom Tarrant saw one a few weeks ago), along the Duck Creek Road area near O'Reillys, and in the Woodford/Bellthorpe area. We even had a male behind us a couple of years ago which was a bit easier to identify as there was a male Leaden about two metres away at the same time.

Females are bloody difficult!! In my experience in SE Queensland, male and female Satin Flycatchers migrate through separately. Male & female Leadens hang around together. I have had discussions on this in the past with people such as Graeme Chapman.

Roy Sonnenburg
Birding Services Brisbane
www.birdingservices.com.au
Ph 07 32566952 Fax 07 32567692