birding-aus

Lamington NP

To: Birding Aus <>
Subject: Lamington NP
From: Charles Hunter <>
Date: Tue, 6 Dec 2005 21:30:05 +1100 (EST)
Hi all,

Ainslie and I were lucky enough to spend a few hours at Lamington NP (Green Mountains Section) on Sunday. A beautiful spot, amazing weather and a successful 4 hours of birding.

The lush forest and the surrounding hinterland are picturesque.

We spent time on and around the easy Moran?s Falls Track seeing many birds:
-         Regent Bowerbird (two males, one in flight)
-         Green Catbird
-         Black-faced Monarch (two seen)
-         Paradise Riflebird (Male). At the end of our trek I heard that distinct ruffling and mid-way in the canopy was a male bird. We observed for around 1 minute, hearing it call twice (a powerful call, which is the same as Victoria?s which I saw again in FNQ exactly a month prior), before it flew up higher out of site.
-         Bassian Thrush? Two seen. We were able to get within 2 metres of one which I thought was strange. We stood there for a couple of minutes as it scratched through leaf litter, enough time for Ainslie to get behind me and pull my old camera with no zoom out of my backpack. I took a photo from 2 metres so hopefully this will confirm Bassian not Russet. Both birds gave ?warning calls? and flew 10 -15  metres away. They where both quite large birds.

Other species recorded included Rufous Fantail, several male Satin Bowerbirds (one flew in front of us to get a Green Grocer Tom Thumb Cicada but was beaten by a Butcherbird), Golden Whistler, Yellow-throated Scrubwren, Brown Thornbill, Wonga Pigeon and others.

I?ll be back for the Albert?s and many others soon!

Regards,
Charles Hunter
Kings Cross, Sydney

Do you Yahoo!?