birding-aus

Tree Sparrow at Alphington (Vic)

To: "bird" <>
Subject: Tree Sparrow at Alphington (Vic)
From: "michael norris" <>
Date: Fri, 2 Dec 2005 10:15:44 +1100
Tree Sparrows appear to have declined around the City of Bayside in the last 5 years. I used to find small groups scattered around the residential areas but now know of none.

Housing Commission flats were another favourite, with nests in small pipes emerging from the walls. Now there are only a couple of pairs that I know.

Over a longer time span, I reckon the roost at Landcox Park, Brighton East, was several hundred strong during my first visits to Australia around 1980. Maybe 10 birds left.

I guess that change is associated with the loss of rough pasture and undeveloped blocks of land. Goldfinch and Greenfinch are no longer resident.

Michael Norris

PS for people interested in Bayside, if you need to speak to a Councillor - I'm now one of them!