birding-aus

bird hotspots

To: <>
Subject: bird hotspots
From: "Mrs Julie Lynn McLaren" <>
Date: Wed, 23 Nov 2005 09:10:59 +1000

I agree with David Geering about the numbers of regular birdwatchers giving an area “a name” for being a birding hotspot, along with other fauna and flora. Proximity to large urban populations has to play a huge part in giving an area a reputation for good birdwatching, by virtue of the numbers of birdwatchers visiting. It’s so much easier to go the next week-end if you didn’t find many birds this week-end, whereas, where we live in S.W.Qld. it is just too far for a quick return visit if the yearly trek just happened to be those days when birds aren’t being very cooperative.

We now have an “official” bird list of over 190 and Ian’s personal list is over 200. Rainfall, or lack of, out here in this semi-arid part of the country plays a huge part in the numbers of bird species Thus far we haven’t had any birdwatchers stay when all the Bluebush swamps are full and once we do I’d reckon our bird list would exceed well over Ian’s 208.

The B-breasted Buzzard chick has fledged and the Collared Sparrowhawk is only days away as it’s really giving the wings a good workout in the nest.

Julie McLaren