birding-aus

Little Terns and Short-tailed Shearwaters

To: <>, <>
Subject: Little Terns and Short-tailed Shearwaters
From: "Greg" <>
Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2005 10:52:17 +1100
Hi Rod,

We presently have three Little Tern pairs breeding at Brooms Head.  Although
this is a very small colony it may increase in size now that it is NPWS
(DEC) estate and has active management.  I banded two runners last week and
the other two nests both have three eggs.  A few weeks back there were a
number of Little Trens in breeding plumage at Nambucca Heads where fencing
etc. has been installed.  Not sure about other sites yet.

Re. Short-tailed Shearwaters - they were very scarce on the Clarence coast
this spring.  I did see TWO during the Twitchathon but by the time the other
team members looked in the scope they were welland truly gone.  Didn't even
get Wedge-tailed Shearwater!  We had both during the 2004 Twitchathon.

Regards

Greg Clancy