birding-aus

Alert and Alarmed - not applicable to Peaceful Doves

Subject: Alert and Alarmed - not applicable to Peaceful Doves
From: Ian Cowan <>
Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2005 08:58:45 +1000
This story is reported and analysed at http://www.snopes.com/crime/warnings/carjack.asp

they rate it in the top 25 list of Urban Myths

but to get back on topic! - I spotted a "ground-nesting" peaceful dove last week in the carpark of one of our local shopping centres (Stockland Earlville) - the owners had constructed a weldmesh fence almost horizontally out over the edge of the concrete lined drain that borders the carpark, and there was the peaceful dove sitting quietly on the nest on the fence panel out over the edge of the drain, unconcerned about the traffic around her.

Ian
Clifton Beach

Hi All

Some of you might have seen a few messages about car-jackings around Sydney
recently.  They sound a bit like Urban Myth to me, but I thought I should point
out that there is PERHAPS a spate of car thefts at the moment that follow this
pattern:

Driver gets into car at a large carpark, notices paper stuck to rear window
Gets out to read / remove it
While they are doing that the thieves, who have been hiding, jump into
unoccupied driver's seat and drive away (most people apparently leave their
keys in the ignition when getting out to remove paper from the window or close
a tailgate, etc.)
I realy don't know if this HAS happened but it is being reported widely  - so
if you are doing a spot of birding, or shopping, take your keys with you if
ever you leave the vehicle!

And in case you think it's unlikely anyone would get out to look at a bird in a
shpping centre carpark, I've done this at Warriewood on Sydney's northern
beaches!   It's often possible to see Eastern Whipbird and other nice forest
birds on the edge of the carpark there - just remember to take your keys out of
the ignition if you suddenly see something interesting darting around in the
shrubbery ...

Russell Woodford

---
Russell Woodford
Learning Technologies Coordinator
Sacred Heart College Geelong

http://web.shc.melb.catholic.edu.au/music/auralonline.html

This email and any attachments may be confidential and if you are not the intended recipient, you must not disclose or use the information in this email. If received in error, please notify us immediately and delete the email and all copies. The College does not guarantee that this email is virus or error free. The attached files are provided, and may only be used, on the basis that the user assumes all responsibility for any loss, damage or consequence resulting directly from the use of the attached files, whether caused by the negligence of the sender or not. The content and opinions in this email are not necessarily those of the College. --------------------------------------------