birding-aus

NSW Prospect Reservoir Grey Goshawks - 20th November 2005

To: "Birding-aus" <>
Subject: NSW Prospect Reservoir Grey Goshawks - 20th November 2005
From: "Edwin Vella" <>
Date: Sun, 20 Nov 2005 18:46:40 +1100

Hi all

Today, David Mitford, David Koffel and I observed the nesting Grey Goshawks at Prospect Reservoir (approx. 40 km west of Sydney CBD). The 2 chicks have almost doubled their size in a week with one showing lots of grey feathers in the wings. We observed the female adult Goshawk come in close to the nest with prey in talons. Neither of the adult Goshawks landed on the nest to feed the young while we were observing them, even though we were some distance, a reasonable hundred or so metres away from their nest. The male adult Goshawk landed in a tree next to where we were standing from time to time as if to distract our attention away from their nest. The adult Grey Goshawks give the impression that they want to be very secretive in their nesting behaviour unlike other raptors I have seen. I have approached both nesting Red and Brown Goshawks at a closer distance without causing much bother to the nesting birds.

Other birds around the nesting Grey Goshawks included Crested Shrike-tit, Bar-shouldered Dove, Variegated Wrens, Varied Sitellas and Scarlet Honeyeaters. Also, a stunning pair of Great Crested Grebe was seen displaying on the reservoir itself.

Edwin Vella