birding-aus

Mystery Bird, ID Please!

Subject: Mystery Bird, ID Please!
From: "Damien Farine" <>
Date: Fri, 18 Nov 2005 21:15:14 +1100
Hey Guys,
Though having read this list for some time now, this is my first post. I am from Wollongong and am a relatively new birdwatcher. I was at Symbio Wildlife Park the other day and caught this bird nearby our lunch table:

http://home.exetel.com.au/studebaker/IMG_0462cropped.jpg

Unfortunately, this was just about the only time that day when my camera wasn't within quick grasp and that is the only shot I got before it disappeared away. At the time, I just thought it was a grey-shrike thrush (I was about 50m away). However upon looking at the photo, I can see the pattern on the stomach. My next guess therefore is a Bassian Thrush? This would be a new sighting for me (although I have had one in a tree out the front of my house once and was conviced by others that it was not).

On another note, if any birdwatchers are ever frolicking about the bush around the area, I would love to join a few more experienced people. I was hoping to go to Coomerong Island tomorrow but will be busy picking up another Studebaker to add to my small collection.

Cheers,
Damien