birding-aus

useful map product

To: Birding-aus <>
Subject: useful map product
From: <>
Date: Wed, 16 Nov 2005 8:52:55 +0000
Yep - we used it for planning a recent birding holiday in Australia from the
UK. When used in conjunction with Google Earth it provided us with detailed
site planning maps. We ordered it on the Geoscience Australia Website and it
was delivered within a few days - to UK! which I thought was excellent service.

One thing to note is there are two versions - Standard and Premium. It is the
Premium version that comes on DVD and also has additional maps on.

It does have one or two minor glitches and I've had it crash a couple times but
all in all a very good product.

Another mapping product to make use of in Australia is Microsoft Mappoint. This
gives excellent detail of roads down to street/road names etc but has no
topography. This is currently only available as a server map resource. You can
either access it through a third party mapping tool such as MultiMap or if you
are keen software enthusiast like myself, write your own software application
to navigate and display the maps - I think microsoft also provide downloadable
resources to do this.

Cheers

Pete Morrison