birding-aus

VIC Western Treatment Plant Broad-billed Sandpiper

To: "birding-aus" <>
Subject: VIC Western Treatment Plant Broad-billed Sandpiper
From: "Danny Rogers" <>
Date: Tue, 15 Nov 2005 18:01:06 +1100
Hi,

There was a Broad-billed Sandpiper at the Western Treatment Plant (Werribee Sewage Farm) yesterday, roosting in the rocks on the north side of Austin Road Summer Pond 2 with a flock of Sharp-tailed Sandpipers. As with all Broad-billed Sandpipers I've encountered in Victoria, it was a first year bird; it was fairly approachable, allowing me to take some reasonable photos.

That area offers interesting birding at the moment. There was an adult Pectoral Sandpiper in the same flock, usually hanging around behind the rocks and not easy to see. Dave Torr has seen an adult Pectoral Sandpiper nearby, at T-Section Lagoon 7, in the last fortnight; perhaps the same individual. I didn't have time to find whether the Wood Sandpipers were still hanging around the eastern end of Austin Road summer pond (two were seen there on 5 November).

Cheers, Danny