birding-aus

Good birding at Prospect Reservoir - Sydney, NSW - 13th November 2005

To: Edwin Vella <>
Subject: Good birding at Prospect Reservoir - Sydney, NSW - 13th November 2005
From: Penny Brockman <>
Date: Mon, 14 Nov 2005 19:02:49 +1100
Dear all

Regarding Edwin Vella's comment on the shyness of nesting Gt. Crested Grebes, they can become very habituated to humans. In Hampstead Heath park, London, on a series of ponds, there were always one pair per pond, and one paid was nesting in a corner of their pond within 2 metres of a path in constant use. The park keepers had erected a fence to protect the birds from dogs and when I saw it, the female was calmly sitting paying no attention to people stopping to look at her. This was when I was in London for a year in 1990-91.