birding-aus

Good books

To: Susan Kozianski <>,
Subject: Good books
From: John Gamblin <>
Date: Sat, 5 Nov 2005 10:53:53 +1100 (EST)

Hear Hear Sue I could not agree more ...... I thought you might also like to know that nine out of ten Magpies prefer reading Denise's superb book first though.
They find sean's a bit scarey in parts.

Ooroo better go and turn on the TV for "Eggy" and her friends to watch today's cricket.

I wonder if one day I'll have some penguins reading penguin books?

Kind regards John A. Gamblin

Susan Kozianski <> wrote:

Hi all,

Have recently read and enjoyed a couple of entertaining books

Denise Goodfellow?s Birds of Australia?s Top End.  I loved the style of this one.  I was a bit dubious at first as a brief scan at the layout looked like it might be a bit dry and heavy going, like Simpson and Day and that sort of formal thing. Looking closer I was delighted to find plenty of entertaining little anecdotes, and bits of interesting trivia scattered through the text, giving the effect of a friendly conversation. What a joyous book.  I particularly enjoyed the aboriginal insights, names and things. Somehow this seemed incredibly appropriate for a book on this particular region, though I suppose really that should be the case everywhere around Aus, if only we could persuade someone with that knowledge to write it for us :o)

Sean Dooley?s The Big Twitch.  I bought it thinking of my mum for Christmas, but realised I want to own it not borrow it.  I quick squiz at the beginning chapters and I was history.  Really entertaining, and funny.  Why do commuters on trains always look at you like you need to be sectioned if you laugh out loud when reading?  People who are sensitive to these sorts of looks should perhaps read this book in the privacy of their own home :o)

I was wondering what other books people have read that are worth seeking out, or if anyone has read How to be a Bad Birdwatcher. At least I think that?s the title ?

Sue

Do you Yahoo!?
Listen to over 20 online radio stations and watch over 5000 music videos on Yahoo! Music.