birding-aus

Twitchathon report from BNS

To: "Birding-aus" <>
Subject: Twitchathon report from BNS
From: "Greg" <>
Date: Fri, 4 Nov 2005 17:24:44 +1100
The Black-necked Stalkers (Maureen O'Shea, Russell Jago, and Greg Clancy) wth Bev Morgan and Joan O'Shea assisting as scribes, began the 2005 Twitchathon as they did in 2004, with a Black-necked Stork (a pair to be precise) and ended with a family of Glossy Black-Cockatoos, the same as in 2004.  Not everything was so ordered however as we dipped on a number of species that "would definitely be there".  We did, however, increase our tally by 6 from last year, to 201.  If 230 is the new 200 then we will have to get those 'definites' next year to match the winners.  We were happy with our tied third place considering that it was our team's second Twitchathon (my 5th) and that we stayed within the one catchment (the Clarence).  Despite the temptation to travel out west and drive madly all night we have decided to remain within the Clarence Valley next year.

We recorded 20 threatened species of bird - Black-necked Stork, Comb-crested Jacana, Brolga, Osprey, Grey-crowned Babbler, Pied Oystercatcher, Sooty Oystercatcher, Ground Parrot, Masked Owl, Black-chinned Honeyeater, Brown Treecreeper, Magpie Goose, Greater Sand Plover, Lesser Sand Plover, White-eared Monarch, Rose-crowned Fruit-Dove, Emu (endangered population), Square-tailed Kite, Rufous Scrub-bird and Glossy Black-Cockatoo as well as a large Bandy-bandy (snake), two Coastal Carpet Pythons, a Red-bellied Black Snake, a pair of Rufous Bettongs and numerous kangaroos and wallabies.

Congratulations to the winners and may the best team win next year.

Regards

Greg Clancy, Head Stalker