birding-aus

Trip Report - Maleny to Camooweal 30/7/5 to 12/8/5

To: "birding-aus" <>
Subject: Trip Report - Maleny to Camooweal 30/7/5 to 12/8/5
From: "Dam Lamb" <>
Date: Thu, 3 Nov 2005 10:42:08 +1100
This  report is the first of a number which will cover our trip from home
(Maleny, SEQ) to Broome and return , from 30th July to 27th October this
year.We travelled in a Mazda 4wd towing an on-road Cub camper-trailer, and
staying mainly at commercial caravan parks. Birding was the primary purpose of
the trip, and seeing the waders of Roebuck Bay was a long-held desire.Before
seting-off a list of "target species" (code for new birds) was determined and
locations researched (mainly a variety of "where to find " books, but also
birding-aus archives, and fellow birders).The list contained 42 species and
included birds spectacularly  missed in the past (viz Black Bittern,
Great-billed Heron, Rufous-crowned Emu-wren),the "I can't believe I haven't got
this" series (Hooded Parrot, Banded Honeyeater,White-browed Robin, Mangrove
Grey Fantail), the "gee  wouldn't it be great if I got" series (Chestnut
Rail,Letter-winged Kite, Red Goshawk), and the totally, absolutely, impossible
(more on this later) Button-Quails. Some target species needed an early wet and
us still being on the road, others a miracle.

 So we left on the 30th July heading for Cania Gorge. The trip list mounted
steadily during the day, we even overcame a navigational error that had us
heading into Maryborough.Highlight of the first day was a flock of 23 Bustard
feeding in an irrigated paddock 5km south of Cania Gorge, others were seen
earlier at Monto.Early morning walk up escarpment towards Fern Tree Pool
revealed many Yellow Thornbill, pair of Speckled Warbler, Brown-headed
Honeyeater, and a nest-building White-throated Treecreeper. The campground had
Dusky Woodswallow and a Wedge-tailed Eagle overhead.A drive to Cania Dam
revealed not a single waterbird on the water.Next stop was Carnarvon Gorge
where we stayed three nights.Heard our first Barking Owl for the trip, they
were heard more frequently than Boobook.Did a number of walks into the gorge
and found Yellow Tufted and White-eared Honeyeater up near the Boolimba Bluff
lookout, Squatter Pigeon in the picnic area,and Azure Kingfisher and Striated
Thornbill along the creek.Little Lorikeet flew through the campground, along
with Yellow-faced and White-naped Honeyeaters.
   Headed next towards Emerald aiming for Barcaldine, encountering first patch
of rain (not to be repeated for 11 weeks).Camped at Lloyd Jones Weir on
southern outskirts of town seeing first Red-winged Parrot,Spiny-cheeked ,
White-plumed and Singing Honeyeater, Hooded Robin,Yellow-rumped Thornbill,
Jacky Winter and White-winged Chough.Did the tourist thing at both Barcaldine
and Longreach (judging by the condition of the Tree of Knowledge, it's no
wonder the Smart State is in a bit of strife--it looks emaciated) before
heading of to Winton.Three Brolgas flew into the caravan park at Longreach and
paraded down the roadways creating great delight for the overseas travellers.

 The country we travelled towards and past Longreach was looking quite good,
green with water patches, very unlike 1998 when we last travelled here.The
drive to Winton produced Black Kites in numbers as well as a Crimson Chat,
whilst at Crawford Creek we found Budgerigar copulating, and Zebra Finch. The
Winton area has some great birding and we set-off quickly for Bladensburg
NP.South of Skull Hole I searched for an hour through the spinifex before
finally seeing a single Spinifexbird sitting atop a small bush.My first new
bird for the trip.Nothing much else was about (it was mid-afternoon) and I
reluctantly called it a day without finding my other target bird, the
Rufous-crowned Emu-wren.Spirits rose as we left the park and saw Hobby and
Diamond Dove,and when about 5km south of town the one  paddock held 10 Bustard,
2 Brolga, and flocks of 40 Budgerigar, 20+Little Woodswallow, 40 Zebra Finches
and 30 Galah.The next day we headed-off to Lark Quarry, a journey(110km) that
took almost 3 hours the birding was that good.Black-fronted Dotterel,
Yellow-billed Spoonbill were seen in small water holdings whilst Crested
Bellbird, Brown Falcon, Common Bronzewing,Diamond Dove were seen from the car,
as were 100+ Black Kite over a 50km stretch of road.After doing the tour of the
dinosaur footprints I walked through the surrounding spinifex hoping for the
Emu-wren. Alas, no luck, but did see our first Black-breasted Buzzard. The
drive home was quicker, though again close to Winton we stopped and watched 20
Spinifex Pigeon walking across the road.A little further on we spied 3
Ground-cuckoo Shrikeand a Brown Songlark.That night watched the last 2 hours of
the second Ashes Test in the Great Northern Hotel, a gripping ending which
befuddled and bemused the Irish and German backpacker barmaids, and enthralled
everyone else.
 Headed-off next morning for Mt Isa, saw 60 Brolga flying into small swamp
behind Kynuna (the country was much drier now).Had lunch at Chinaman's Creek
Reserve just out of Cloncurry and got good collection of waterbirds including
Great-crested Grebe, 3 species of Egret, and a juvenile Black-necked
Stork.Caspian Tern flew over the water and we saw our first Grey-headed
Honeyeater. We spent 4 nights in Mt Isa, easily getting Varied
Lorikeet,Collared Sparrowhawk at the caravan park, along with Great Bowerbird.A
trip to Mica Creek brought forth the Dusky(Kalkadoon) Grasswren in the gully
behind the burnt-out car, also Weebill and Brown Goshawk. Had a wonderful hour
or so at the "Water Effluent Settling Ponds"(looked very much like a sewerage
works) with 450+ Pink-eared Duck,Hardhead,Darter,Coot,Black-fronted Dotterel
,70+ Black Kite,and our first Red-backed Kingfisher.Well worth a visit. Next
day took a day trip to Lake Moondarra, staying on the eastern side and not
attempting the tracks on the west.Saw over 60 species, best of which were a
party of 20 Painted Finch, some Glossy Ibis, 4 raptors,more Spinifex Pigeon,
numerous Rufous Whistler, Restless Flycatcher and Double-barred Finch. Next day
went to McNamara's Rd, 61km towards Camooweal.Found a note in the stone cairn
from a Belgian birder, Jan, who had seen the Carpentarian Grasswren the day
before.With mounting excitement set-off to the nominated spot and began the
hunt.After two hours of nary a squeak or sight, caught a glimpse of a bird
diving into spinifex.Waited around and then heard brief contact calls between
two birds, 20 metres apart. One bird sounded only 15 feet away, then finally it
ran out into the open, stopped, turned towards me so we could regard each
other.As I raised by binos it was gone and didn't re-emerge. But I'd had close
naked eye views for about 20 seconds, which I reckon is pretty good for a
grasswren.Black-tailed Treecreeper and Ringneck were seen on way back to care.I
dutifly left a note of my success for the next birder to visit.
Left Mt Isa for the next leg of the trip. Stopped briefly by the Georgina River
at Camooweal but very windy and dusty, not conducive to birding.It had taken us
14 days to get to the NT border, with two ticks out of a total of 161 species.

Russ Lamb, Maleny, SEQ