birding-aus

Fitzgerald River NP and Cheyne's Beach, WA

To: "Birding Aus" <>
Subject: Fitzgerald River NP and Cheyne's Beach, WA
From: "Gil Langfield" <>
Date: Thu, 27 Oct 2005 17:43:15 -0700
I returned last Saturday from a week spent in southern WA where I had gone
to see Western Whipbird and Bristlebird.  I had seen the other difficult
species, the Noisy Scrubbird, three years ago at Cheyne's Beach.  With the
help of Frank O'Connor's excellent website and tapes, I managed to see both
species relatively easily.  Extras seen at Cheyne's Beach were several
Southern Right Whales with calves, one of the latter doing all of the tricks
in from of me one afternoon.

I stayed at the Fitzgerald River NP B&B which has to be the best B&B I have
ever stayed in.  I also stayed at a cabin in the Cheyne's Beach Caravan
Park, from where one can still walk to, hear and see with difficulty the
three elusive specialties.  The Scrubbird has returned to the area between
the Caravan Park and the beach, or another individual has taken over the
habitat.

I have a more detailed small RTF document with a few GPS locations for
anybody who is interested.

Regards,

Gil Langfield
Melbourne Australia