birding-aus

white bellied storm petrel, constitution dock Hobart

To: "Birding Aus" <>
Subject: white bellied storm petrel, constitution dock Hobart
From: "Cas and LISA Liber (& family)" <>
Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2005 00:27:40 +1000
Hi all,
a couple of weeks ago at sunset I was scoffing some chips with the kiddies
when I looked up and saw a smallish petrel-like bird (smaller than the 2
silver gulls which appeared to be harassing it) making a 'cheep-cheep-cheep'
call - the most striking colour was an all white belly with a sharply
defined margin to dark greyish neck and and all dark head. Looking in the
books the only thing which matched was a white bellied storm petrel
(Fregetta grallaria?) but the distribution didn't look too comatible with
Tassie. I was directly underneath it and the belly was definitely all-white.
Cas Liber