birding-aus

R.F.I.Bendigo (Terrick Terrick etc)

Subject: R.F.I.Bendigo (Terrick Terrick etc)
Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2005 09:26:43 +1000

Peter & Betty,

Terrick Terrick National Park
a. The Parks Victoria web site has some useful visitor guides for most Victorian parks.  Terrick Terrick is: http://www.parkweb.vic.gov.au/resources/05_1102.pdf

b. The birding-aus archives also have reports of birdo visits for this location.

c. Susan Myers has a good site at:  http://users.wired.net.au/susan/terrick.htm which provides a bird list and other information.

d. Terrick Terrick park management
Some interesting reading on the management of this park (by the regional Park Ranger) is at: http://www.regional.org.au/au/stipa/2001/p-08.htm

e. Terrick Terrick NP bird list
Another bird list for north and south sections of the park can be found at:
http://www.eremaea.com/SpeciesListsSite.aspx?Site=140&Culture=en-AU&CommonNames=0

Other reserves
Some thoughts for you on a few smaller birding localities between Bendigo and Terrick Terrick which are often overlooked or missed by people.  They are off the main roads but certainly on the way between Bendigo and Mitiamo (Terrick Terrick National Park).

The VicRoads Country Directory shows the roads mentioned but not the wetlands.  The 1: 100 000 topographic map (Mitiamo) shows these wetlands.

I've visited the following public land sites many years ago as part of mapping all Victoria's wetland habitats.  They are all Wildlife Reserves and can be good for woodland and waterbirds when the season has been suitable.

1. Tang Tang Swamp
This is on (northern side) the Dingee - Rochester Rd., 6km east of Dingee rail siding.  1: 100 000 mapsheet 7725 (Mitiamo), Grid Ref (Easting/Northing): 573723
When with water this wetland has had Brolga and other waterbirds.  It also has some nice old red gums I seem to remember.

2. Winghee Swamp
Also on the Dingee - Rochester Rd. (northern side) , about 10km east of Dingee.  1: 100 000 mapsheet 7725, grid ref: 614720

3. Thunder Swamp
Possibly a little harder to access.   On the Tandarra - Elmore Rd., (southern side), about 5km east of the Tandarra rail siding.
1: 100 000 mapsheet 7725, grid ref: 558639

These sites have been the subject of waterbird surveys in the past and it would be great to have further fauna survey done by all those who make visits.

The information gathered as part of waterbird and other surveys over the years has been added to the Atlas of Victorian Wildlife and I encourage all birdos to also send their observations to the Atlas so we can better manage these important sites.

All vertebrate/bird data can be sent to the atlas via the email address: or by post to: Atlas of Victorian Wildlife, PO Box 500, East Melbourne 3002.

I am happy to assist people in getting their observations into the atlas if required.

Let me know how you go and whether the sites have water in them at the moment.

cheers, Martin

Martin O'Brien
Threatened Species & Communities Section
Department of Sustainability and Environment
2/8 Nicholson St. (PO Box 500), East Melbourne  3002

Tel: 9637 9869