birding-aus

Project Photographing Endemics

To: <>
Subject: Project Photographing Endemics
From: "Drew Fulton" <>
Date: Sat, 15 Oct 2005 11:08:04 -0400
Greetings Australian Birders,
    I am a college student from the United States and am currently working on a proposal for a grant to spend a year (July 2006-July 2007) in Australia photographing endemic birds.  This is a once in a lifetime opportunity provided by an organization that awards substantial grants to graduating students who want to pursue a project that is unique and has been a lifetime dream.  I have been lurking on this list for a couple months as I have been putting together my proposal and have learned a lot from the many posts.  I wanted to introduce myself and ask for some help.
    As I have never been to Australia, I am still very new to the bird life but am quickly learning all I can through various field guides and HANZAB.  My project has two main focuses: finding and photographing as many endemic birds as possible in a year and experiencing as much of the Australian continent as possible.  I feel like these will go hand in hand as it is my understanding that there are endemics just about everywhere and in every habitat.  I don't plan on finding every species as many are very rare or remote but it is a nice goal nonetheless.
    I am in the somewhat awkward position of trying to make contacts with people for a theoretical project that may or may not happen, depending whether or not I recieve one of the grants.  Regardless, I would love to talk with anyone that has researched or has experience with specific species, particularly the more scarce or more difficult to find species or extensive experience in a certain area.  I am trying to develop a network of contacts across the country with people who would be interested in sharing their knowledge and experience with me.  I think there is no one better to learn from than someone who has extensive experience with a single species or group of species or a specific area.
    For those of you interested in my previous work and experience, I spent six months photographing in the Florida Everglades and documenting the many aspects of this unique ecosystem.  I am currently working on a book telling the story of the Everglades through photographs and essays.  To see work from this project please visit my website, www.evergladesimagery.com.  Most of the photos are posted in either the photo section or through the weblog I maintained.
    I thank you all for your time and hope that this email is not out of place on this mailing list.  I am thrilled to even have the opportunity to apply for this grant and hope that I will find myself exploring Australia next year.  Thanks again.

Drew

Drew Fulton
Bowdoin College

Everglades Imagery