birding-aus

Help re. Fox-baiting ?

To: <>
Subject: Help re. Fox-baiting ?
From: "simon starr" <>
Date: Sat, 15 Oct 2005 15:50:08 +1000
    Dear birding-ausers,

Last year I posted news on a local Landcare group project to protect a small
wetland here in Nth Vic for Brolgas.As the site was so degraded and
disturbed last year the resident local Brolga pair nested further along the
creek, rearing one chick to nearly fully grown, but then alas it
disappeared, presumably due to predation as it still hadn't fledged. In my
12 years of living here I have not seen a successful nesting attempt by this
pair!!!!(many chicks, but none making it to adulthood).

I'm pleased to report that the birds have returned to the now protected(from
stock) site and one egg has been laid so far. We now intend to do some
targeted fox control to hopefully give these birds a fair go.

Liver baits have been used in the past and proven to be quite effective,
however the rules in Victoria have now changed and only fox-off is allowed
to be used. The evidence suggests that uptake of fox-off is much lower as it
is less palatable. It is also cached by foxes much more often leading to
undesirable outcomes such as pets finding baits later on. To cut a long
story short it is now proving difficult to convince many landholders to
continue with a baiting programme, leading to negative outcomes for our
local wildlife.
If any one has experience of these issues and would be prepared to put pen
to paper, we are making a submission early next week to try and allow liver
baits to be used again.
Regards,
Simon Starr.