birding-aus

Waders etc @ Mount Isa

To: "Messages Birding-aus" <>
Subject: Waders etc @ Mount Isa
From: "Bob Forsyth" <>
Date: Fri, 14 Oct 2005 10:02:29 +1000
G'day all,

Last Saturday,8/10/2005, Ian Fox, Trish Hammond & myself revisited Wide Bay hoping to see
the Yellow Wagtail and Ruddy Turnstone observed by a recent visitor.

The Bad News -
Alas ! They were not to be found.

The Good News -
We got excellent view of some other rarities (for this area)
- Latham's Snipe (a positive ID from Swinhoe's Snipe)
- Terek Sandpiper (Very rare in the inland) & my first record of this bird at the Isa.
- Yellow Chats (but not found yesterday, with author Tim Low)
- Little Curlew
- Long-toed Stint
- Red-necked Stint
- Freckled Duck (24)

Other visitors from overseas included
- Curlew Sandpiper
- Oriental Plover
- Marsh Sandpiper
- Sharp-tailed sandpiper

Comment
Well qualified visitors who have observed the Gallinago species here, have been emphatic they have only observed the Swinhoe's species.
We were able (with the aid of a Swarovski Scope) able to observe at close quarters one of the two birds actively feeding a few metres from the waters edge.
The tail projected well beyond the wing tips and the chest markings were as shown in the Morcombe Field Guide (Compact Version)
My postulation that we get two species of Gallinago at Mount Isa, I believe has been substantiated.

I have collated from Birding-aus identification tips to separate the Swinhoe's from Latham's
Email me for a copy.

Regards from
Bob Forsyth
Mount Isa, NW Qld.