birding-aus

Some recent observations (Melbourne & Vic)

To: "Birding Aus" <>
Subject: Some recent observations (Melbourne & Vic)
From: "Jack Krohn" <>
Date: Thu, 29 Sep 2005 22:06:43 +1000
Folks,

Long time no post - been busy.

Four weeks back there was a Horsfields Bronze-cuckoo calling beside Gardiners Creek in Tooronga - I think someone else reported one from Hawthorn or thereabouts around the same time.

There have been Yellow-tailed Black-cockatoos in Glen Waverley (Syndal) - most recently a pair on Tuesday morning - and in Glen Iris - several calling from beside Gardiner Creek near Glen Iris station on 16 September.

I spent 17-20 September camping in the Middle Creek camping area of Mt Buangor State Park, about 55 km west of Ballarat in the Central Highlands: nothing exceptional, but a Powerful Owl was heard calling around dawn on one morning and dusk on another evening, outside the hours of full darkness, suggesting a roosting site in the near neighbourhood of the camping area.  Tawny Frogmouths calling every night, single sightings of Wedge-tailed Eagle and Peregrine Falcon overhead, lots of White-naped and Yellow-faced Honeyeaters and a few Fuscous and New Holland as well as Eastern Spinebills.  A very pleasant, family-friendly camping area with a robust sheler with tables and fireplace in case of wet weather, and plenty of good walks further into the Park.

Last weekend I spent a couple of days at Terrick Terrick National Park, my first time camping there.  Camping area is small and facilities limited to toilets, but attractive setting on the southern flank of "Mount" Terrick Terrick (an ambitious name for a granite tor, but so flat are the surroundings that the view from the summit includes what I took to be Mt Alexander, something like 90 km away to the south).  Birds around the campsite included a roosting Boobook, Painted Button-quail, abundant Brown Treecreepers, Hooded Robins, Gilbert's Whistler and a Little Eagle.  Around the Park there were Stubble Quail, Peaceful Doves, Chestnut-rumped Thornbills, Black-chinned Honeyeaters, Crested Shriketit, Australian Ringnecks and Western Gerygone.  There were also spectacular views of the stars on a crisp, clear night before moonrise, a good-sized Lace Monitor and an uncomfortably close view of a large Eastern Brown Snake - the trouble with walking around the bush looking mostly up.  A very attractive Park, even under pretty dry conditions, and great habitat for birding - open and not too tall.

If anyone would like lists from Mt Buangor or Mt terrick Terrick, let me know.  Not yet fully written up, however.

And finally, this evening, an Olive-backed Oriole calling persistently from a parkland Red Gum in Glen Iris.

Regards to all,

    Jack Krohn