birding-aus

Lower Yarra little egrets

To: Bill Stent <>, BIRDING-AUS <>
Subject: Lower Yarra little egrets
From: John Gamblin <>
Date: Mon, 10 Oct 2005 11:10:29 +1000 (EST)
Was it singing an Edith Piaf song maybe?

Bill Stent <> wrote:

Hi folks, on the morning ride to work this morning along the Yarra bike path (Melbourne) I spotted the resident little egret at Dights falls, and then another one lower down opposite the Laver Arena, close to the CBD.

I know it's still possible that there is a single bird (which has been my assumption for the last couple of years since seeing the bird regularly), as the egret could fly much faster than I can ride. The bike path doesn't go along the Yarra bank all the way, by cuts corners and makes other diversions. However, I've never seen two egrets together anywhere along the lower Yarra.

My question - has anyone seen these two together, or have I indeed been
overtaken by a stealth egret?

Bill