birding-aus

'Murring' = Emu

Subject: 'Murring' = Emu
Date: Sat, 8 Oct 2005 14:21:55 +1000
'Murring' = Emu

I seem to recall too that there was a query/discussion here about what bird might have been named 'MURRING'?
        While reading George CALEY's 'Reflections on the Colony of NSW' (in J.E.B. Currey's book, 1966), I've come across the following passage among 'Caley's notes on the birds of NSW' (Appendix 1):
        'WAWGULJELLY [Emu Wren: Stipiturus malachurus]
        'This bird is called Emu Bird by the colonists. The native name is Wawguljelly. I have never known it called Merrion Binnion, as published in the Linnean Society's Transactions. The native name of an Emu is Murring.'
        (Underlining is mine; as are the square brackets below.) George Caley arrived in the colony with Governor King in April 1800, and left with Governor Bligh in May 1810. Caley seems to have been a fascinating character who found himself here in fascinating times.
        The above passage of Caley's concludes, 'The natives tell me it [the Emu Wren] may be run down.' The bird's so difficult just to see now that this is hard to imagine!

Cheers,
Judith.