birding-aus

Yellow Birds @ the Isa & more

To: "Messages Birding-aus" <>
Subject: Yellow Birds @ the Isa & more
From: "Bob Forsyth" <>
Date: Thu, 6 Oct 2005 19:24:55 +1000
g'day all,

I revisited Wide Bay yesterday and saw 5 Yellow Chats at the same location
Other interesting birds included -
- Freckled Ducks          2      (Until 3 years ago very rare)
- Cotton Pygmy-goose 1 pr   (At least 1 pair have been resident for at least 3 years)
- Curlew Sandpiper     4       (An infrequent visitor to the Isa)
- Long-toed Stint          1

But wait, there is more !

Visiting Birdwatcher from Canberra, Noel Luff, phoned me to advise that he went & found the 10 Yellow Chats
AND ALSO a
Yellow Wagtail AND a Ruddy Turnstone, both within 200 metres of the Chats

I understand YWs can turn up anywhere, & I saw a pair at Broome STP earlier this year.
But, I was gobsmacked when I looked at Simpson & Day to read it suggests that Ruddy Turnstones
can turn up over most of Australia, except the Great Dividing Range and the Western Deserts.
Why haven't I seen them before in the Inland ?

Regards from
Bob Forsyth
Mount Isa, NW Qld.
ps For directions to Wide Bay see Gazetteer section of www.birdsqueensland.org.au/