birding-aus

Marbled Frogmouth and Australian Geographic

To: <>
Subject: Marbled Frogmouth and Australian Geographic
From: "Lorne Johnson" <>
Date: Wed, 05 Oct 2005 12:21:03 +1000
Hello birdlovers... Lorne here...

Just back from six days up at Byron Bay and hinterland. Tick for me was Marbled Frogmouth. Two individuals seen at Ricky Creek Dam north of Dunoon - the first at picnic area by rainforest and dam, the second on fencepost by paddock just down from picnic area along Rocky Creek Dam Rd. Beaut birds. Both totally silent. Quite cooperative with spotlight, allowing close views. Respect to my wife for finding the former bird for me. If anyone wants more detail on any birds etc. seen up Byron way, e-mail me.

Also, the latest National Geographic features an interesting article on Australia's spoecies of cockatoos and how they are managed in the states and territories.

Cheers all,