birding-aus

Pilotbirds in the Wollemi Wilderness

Subject: Pilotbirds in the Wollemi Wilderness
From: Mick Roderick <>
Date: Tue, 4 Oct 2005 13:21:43 +1000 (EST)
Howdy birders,

I've just completed a cycling journey across one of the least accessible national parks in the country, birding and atlassing along the way, hopefully in some places that have not been previously atlassed due to lack of vehicle access. We went west-east from Rylstone to Bulga across Wollemi NP.

One thing that did surprise me was the number of Pilotbirds encountered in the park. I'm not too sure about the recorded status of this bird in this part of the world, but Pizzey states it as 'north to Blue Mtns' and the other guides don't seem to put it past there. I'm sure David Geering has recorded it at Coricudgy before...but I never expected it to be one of the most common birds we would find. It was virtually heard in all areas of appropriate habitat. (incidentally David, have you heard from the HBOC re: the Widden Valley camp?)

Can anyone shed a little light on the northern limit of Pilotbirds? The Atlas appears to have a grid record from north of the Hunter River, which is surprising. I'm sure you have some records there Alan!

For interest's sake, the birding was generally quiet, probably owing to the absolutely awe-inspiring vastness of the forested habitats. Other 'good' species recorded were Grey Currawongs, lots of Gang-gangs and Glossy Blacks, Masked Owl and White-throated Nightjar.

Thanx in advance...
Mick Roderick

Do you Yahoo!?