birding-aus

Tallaganda - pink robin, olive whistler, quoll

Subject: Tallaganda - pink robin, olive whistler, quoll
Date: Tue, 4 Oct 2005 10:05:40 +1000

I spent Sunday (2 October) down in a favourite area of mine in SE NSW. I birded in Tallaganda National Park, Tallaganda State Forest, Gourock NP, Badja Swamps NR & Deua NP (along the Minuma Range Fire Trail in the Woila-Deua Wilderness Area).

Of interest was a single male Pink Robin in a wet gully in Tallaganda SF. Beautiful to finally see one locally after seeing so many in Tassie the week before.
I stayed around until 8pm spotlighting for Tiger Quolls and finally tracked one down in the car lights along White Ash Rd in heavily logged land. By the time I jumped out with a torch it had slinked away under some fallen timber. At least 3 Greater Gliders were also high up in the trees along the road.

Other birds included several Olive Whistlers along Slap Up FT in Gourock NP. Eastern Whipbirds at many locations including in some tea-tree scrub around a dam just below the peak of Mt Tumanmang. While over the summit itself 2 Wedge-tailed Eagles soared. Spotted Quail-thrushes along Flat Range FT and Bald Peak Rd. Also Crescent Honeyeaters, Superb Lyrebirds, Fan-tailed Cuckoos, a Shining Bronze-Cuckoo, Gang-gang Cockatoos & Flame Robins. I watched a Grey Currawong making a very strange grating call and then its mate would reply with the same call. It was a new call for me.

During the day I counted 3 Echidnas, 4 Wombats, and innumerable Red-necked Wallabies and Swamp Wallabies. And the drive back along Anembo Rd was slow going as I had to stop many times for wildlife including roos, 3 Wombats, 1 Ringtail Possum and a Southern Boobook perched on the road.

Cheers

Marnix Zwankhuizen
Ngunnawal ACT
IMPORTANT: This transmission is intended only for the use of the addressee and may contain confidential or legally privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient, you are notified that any use or dissemination of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this transmission in error, please notify us immediately by telephone on (02) 6271 4777 and delete all copies of this transmission together with any attachments.