birding-aus

Birding in Griffith

To: "Birding Aus" <>
Subject: Birding in Griffith
From: "John Turner" <>
Date: Fri, 30 Sep 2005 08:20:19 +0930
Hi All,
    On our way home from Capertee we called through Griffith not intending to stay, but perhaps a quick look for birds. A chance meeting at the Tourist Info Centre soon had us in contact with local birdos, and we took up an offer to meet at Binya Forest. We were told that the Painted Honeyeaters were not there yet. Many birds if interest to us, particularly 10 - 15 White-winged Trillers feeding on the ground. Then a Painted Honeyeater call was heard, and the bird soon seen - possibly the source of Peter Ewin's recent posting. A great spot to spend some time; pity we could not stay longer.
    Many thanks to the local birders who helped us, and to the Field Naturalists group who allowed us to join them on Sunday on their outing to Taleeban, n-e of Griffith. A glimpse of a Spotted Nightjar on the ground was a highlight for me.
    Heading west from Griffith along the Murrumbidgee River Rd (north of the river) on Monday, two Superb Parrots were seen briefly flying alongside the road.

John & Nancy Turner
Adelaide