birding-aus

Narrabeen Lagoon and Wariewood Wetlands (more summer migrants) - 25th Se

To: "Birding-aus" <>
Subject: Narrabeen Lagoon and Wariewood Wetlands (more summer migrants) - 25th September 2005
From: "Edwin Vella" <>
Date: Sun, 25 Sep 2005 19:24:10 +1000

This morning (25th September 2005), I paid a visit to see the pair of Ospreys nesting beside Narabeen Lakes (approx. 10-15 km north of Sydney CBD). The nest was easily located on top of a Norfolk Island pine, with one bird sitting low in the nest and the other bird perched just outside it. I saw the later bird fly low and drop beside the lagoon (next to the beach) to collect more nesting material and then drop it on the nest (which was when I first noticed the other bird on the nest). As I watching the Ospreys, I was entertained by a close Little Egret in hunting mode which was almost like some sort of dancing.

I also paid a short visit to the nearby Warriewood Wetlands where I saw Bar-shouldered Dove, 3 Sacred Kingfishers, several Olive-backed Orioles, a female Leaden Flycatcher, White-throated Gerygones and a pair of Tawny Grassbirds. I also heard what may have also been a Forest Kingfisher which is bird rarely seen in Sydney. I thought I would have had the opportunity to see that bird as it called from one of the trees (a tree..eee..eee” call) very close to where I was standing but it had some how snuck away. I have only seen one Forest Kingfisher in Sydney and in the winter.

Irrawong Reserve, next door to the wetlands also produced 2 Dollarbirds, Brown Cuckoo-dove and a Swamp Harrier displaying a calling high above in the air with its “keow” calls and beautiful semi-acrobatic displays (the third time I have seen them displaying and each time initially first noticed by their soft calls high in the air). There were also a few unidentified birds heard running through the tangled vegetation in the undergrowth of the Swamp Mahogany Forest here, and I can imagine they were Lewin’s Rails just getting out of my way (I have heard several and glimpsed one in this place before)

A beautiful 3 hours in Sydney’s Northern Beaches.

Edwin Vella