birding-aus

Sewage Treatment Ponds - NW West Australia & the NT

To: "Messages Birding-aus" <>
Subject: Sewage Treatment Ponds - NW West Australia & the NT
From: "Bob Forsyth" <>
Date: Fri, 23 Sep 2005 17:34:34 +1000
G'day all,

Earlier in the year I drove the 2460km over to Broome to stay at the Broome Observatory (my 2nd visit)
for their excellent Bird Week and a subsequent 3 days with George Swann on the Dampier Peninsula
(where he made my trip with some Gouldian's)

I allowed extra time on my return trip to search out Sewage Ponds (i.e. STPs) and some other water locations
This took time as they are not known to most of the locals .... but perseverance prevailed.

As well as lat/long I provide some UTM readings, which I find much more convenient when using topographic maps.

Derby (WA)
The viewing platform is 1.5 km from the highway, at the virtual end of Conway Street
(Conway Street is one of the first streets on the L when entering Broome)
and another 170m further along, there is a well designed artificial wetlands.
and there is an outflow onto the Salt Pans that can hide some good birds.
51K 0568896 / 8083245
S   17 20 06.8
E 123 38 54.2

The reeds at the outflow from Myall's bore with the long cattle trough at the turnoff to the Boab Prison Tree
on the R when entering Broome, have provided me with good results in the late afternoon.
(I have not checked out the Joonjoo Botanical Walk)

Fitzroy Crossing (WA)
At end of a 550m track, leading S from the Highway, (almost opposite the Lodge)
on the east side of the Fitzroy River Bridge,
51K 0772737 / 7984038
S   18 12 56.2
E 125 34 43.6

Also check out the area around the "Old Crossing"

Hall's Creek (WA)
4.5 km E of town on the L side of the Top Springs Road (and 400m before the Cattle yards)
The locked gate is 200m from the main road .. but there is a rough track around the perimeter fence.
In season I would suggest this extensive ponds would be chock a block of bird life
52K 0362805 / 7982200
S 18 14 42.8
E 127 42 08.8

Kalkarindgi (NT)
I did not check out this location for Treatment Ponds

Top Springs
The Roadhouse is no longer at the Springs, which I did not visit.
But the road from Kalkarindgi crosses several Palm Tree lined permanent Creeks

Newcastle Waters
I did not turn off into this old heritage town this time as the creek had dried up at the causeway.
In the wet season it a fantastic place for waterfowl

Lake Woods (near Elliott)
Turn W, 50m N of the cattle grid, at the N end of town
-   7.9km fork (I forget which way !)
-   8.7km Cattle Grid
- 11.5 km Longreach Waterhole
53K 0338084 / 8051574
- a track follows the N side of Newcastle Waters (Ck) towards Lake Woods

Renner Springs
The name says it all. The Roadhouse has provided a walking track around the spring

Tennant Creek (Northern Territory)
I have mislaid my GPS readings, but -
- proceed W along Fazeldeen Street (which is at S end of town, just S of the divided highway)
- Turn S (left) at a high-set house, just before entering the Rubbish Tip
- go 1/2 km to end of road
The ponds are fenced off, but 3 sides can be viewed by a medium height person.
The adjacent trees also offered shelter to a good range of foliage birds
And of course the well signposted Mary Ann Recreational Lake which is on the N side of the town

41 Mile Bore (from Tennant Ck 3 Ways Junction)
This windmill has not operated for many years

Barkly Homestead Roadhouse (Junction of Barkly & Tablelands Hwys)
 2 small ponds are about 150 m S of the Caravan Park.

Regards from
Bob Forsyth
Mount Isa, NW Qld.
ps   I hope this posting encourages other List Members to offer directions to other similiar locations
pps For some Qld Birding locations see Gazetteer section of www.birdsqueensland.org.au/
(14KB)