birding-aus

indian Mynors

Subject: indian Mynors
From: Craig Williams <>
Date: Fri, 23 Sep 2005 13:43:18 +1000
Just another contextually specific contribution on this topic: I made
submissions regarding a development in the Buttaba area against the use of
nesting boxes as replacement for loss of tree hollows subsequent to clearing
because chances are these nest boxes will be one size fits all and will never
be maintained (that is if they are even put up in the first place), and
therefore are likely to represent excellent breeding sites for feral species
(bees and Mynors).

To date, after what I regard as the tragic clearing work, there is no evidence
that habitat compensation measures such as nest box instalment are proceeding.
Looks to me increasingly like another one of those cases where developer and
local government configure window-dressing measures purely for the purposes of
development approval, appearing to be doing "the right thing" on the
policy-surface, but such strategies remain at the level of mere lip-service
with no scope for active and effective ecologically sustainable management.  I
might be wrong, premature in my evaluation here, but I'm watching as the
destruction continues and spreads to see if any measures at all are taken
consistent with applicable, though oxymoronic, "development control plans".  My
conclusion: development was approved without any consideration whatsoever to
the real implications and effects on local ecologies, in particular listed
threatened species.  These actions have contravened and undermined assessment
procedures requiring species impact statements triggered by the presence of
important threatened and state significant species populations (plant and
animal).  My predictions: the Mynor population, and Noisy Miner populations
will be big winners here and will eliminate over time prospects for the
viability of other brid populations in the area.  Magpies and Kookaburras will
also win out.  This is 21st century biodiversity management best practice in
action.

I intend one last vain and probably irrelevant communication with Environment
AUstralia re EPBC Act implications - the road to be built along the western
side of the development will ensure the full destruction of Black-eyed Susan in
the area within five years if that.  Let's see what the Minister for the
Environment and delegated approval personnel say about this one.  My bet:
NOTHING.

Craig Williams

>>> kfp <> 09/19/05 7:15 PM >>>
Hello people

what is the general thought about trapping Indian Mynors? When we first
moved to Buttaba, NSW four years ago, there were more native birds visiting
us. Now we have more Indian mynors in our yard. Apart from planting native
trees , which we are doing are there any other ideas on how to reduce the
number's of indian mynors.

Robyn