birding-aus

Host of Migrants on Pt Nepean

To: "Birding Aus" <>
Subject: Host of Migrants on Pt Nepean
From: "Simon Mustoe" <>
Date: Thu, 8 Sep 2005 18:24:13 +1000
Hi,

I've just spent a couple of days working on Pt Nepean during which we've observed quite a lot of migration on the tip of the headland. Ordinarily, there are a few yellow-faced and white-naped honeyeaters but yesterday we had large flocks all day, though numbers had declined today with just a few individuals of each. There were also a lot of welcome swallows, which had mainly disappeared today (so presumably were moving through), plus Imperial White and Australian Admiral Butterflies and some Tau Emerald Dragonflies (all potential migrants). We also had brief views of a female Flame Robin, a single Dusky Woodswallow passed over with swallows in the afternoon and a Whistling Kite.

Today, I commented on seeing a few black-faced cuckooshrikes on the way down from Belgrave and wondered if they were also moving with these strong northerlies. As if on cue, a flock of six birds rounded the tip of point Nepean at about 9am. There was also a constant movement of tree martins all day, which was a surprise, plus some Silvereyes and a possible Pardalote.

Also of interest, a couple of peregrine falcons, including an immature bird, an immature white-bellied sea eagle and three Caspian Terns.

Cheers,

Simon Mustoe.