birding-aus

Re: White-plumed Honeyeater in Hornsby

Subject: Re: White-plumed Honeyeater in Hornsby
From: Andrew Taylor <>
Date: Sun, 4 Sep 2005 10:31:24 +1000
On Sat, Sep 03, 2005 at 09:40:39PM +1000, Greg Clancy wrote:
>    I grew up at Woolooware, in southern Sydney, and found the
>    White-plumed Honeyeater the most common resident honeyeater there.  I
>    am sure that it is still common at Wooloware and Cronulla.  It is only
>    a rare vagrant (drought related?) to the Clarence Valley, in Northern
>    New South Wales, where I have had only two records (both in the early
>    1980's), one at South Grafton and one in Newfoundland State Forest.
>    Russell Jago has had a couple of local records also.

According to Birds of Sydney, the first breeding White-plumed HE record
for Sydney was 1948 and before then it was a "straggler" to Sydney.
So their abundance has changed greatly since then.  My impression is the
like, Crested Pigeons, its abundance has still being changing in the the
last 10-20 years.  I remember the  White-plumed HEs at Sydney Airport, one
of the first bird you could show to a visitor, used to be a novelty for
inner Sydney.  They still seem patchy across inner Sydney to me, seemingly
favouring the street trees of the most urban and least vegetated areas.

Andrew