birding-aus

Strzeklecki Track Outback Birding Tour

To: "birding-aus" <>
Subject: Strzeklecki Track Outback Birding Tour
From: "Crispin Marsh" <>
Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2005 22:23:23 +1000

Dear Birders,

2 Swedes, a Brit, a Canadian and 3 Aussie couples set off from Melbourne in a 22 seater bus driven by Phil Maher. We drove north into Queensland, turned left and then south to Tibooburra, through the Strzelecki desert to Lyndhurst and back to Melbourne via the Flinders Ranges and the South Australian Mallee. We were followed by Phil?s wife Patricia with a 4WD full of delicious food that she dispensed liberally and often! Between them Phil and Trish ran a very well organised and enjoyable trip.

It was a great birding experience at a time when the outback is showing (temporarily at least) the benefit of the rain received in June and July. There were carpets of billy buttons and yellow and white daisies. Plenty of the Erimophilas were in flower though few of the gums were yet in blossom.

239 species were seen by this observer who missed a couple seen by others in the group. Highlights (for me at least) were :-

Freckled Duck

Pink Eared Duck

Letter-winged Kite

Grey Falcon

Black Falcon

Plains-wanderer

Inland Dotterel

Major Mitchell?s Cockatoo

Superb Parrot

Regent Parrot

Swift Parrot

Mulga Parrot

Bourke?s Parrot

Elegant Parrot

Barking Owl

Red-backed Kingfisher

4 treecreepers (Red-browed, White-throated, White-browed and Brown)

Splendid Fairy-wren

White-winged Fairy-wren

Mallee Emu-wren

5 Grasswrens (Grey, Striated, Short-tailed*, Eyrian and Thick-billed)

Rufous Fieldwren

Redthroat

Inland Thornbill

Slender-billed Thornbill

3 Whitefaces (Southern, Chestnut-breasted, and Banded)

26 Honeyeaters (including Striped, Purple-gaped, Black-chinned, Painted, White-fronted, Black and Pied)

3 Chats (Crimson, Orange and Gibber)

Southern Scrub-robin

4 Babblers (Grey-crowned, White-browed, Hall?s and Chestnut-crowned)

Chirruping Wedgebill,

3 Quail-thrush (Chestnut, Cinnamon and Chestnut-breasted)

Crested Bellbird

Red-lored Whistler

Gilbert?s Whistler

Ground Cuckoo-shrike

As I mentioned in a previous posting on the raptors of the Strzelecki desert I have no connection with Australian Ornithological Services who ran the trip other than as a very satisfied client.

Peter Marsh

* If one accepts this as a full species.