birding-aus

Re: Osprey at Narrabeen

To: "steveb1" <>
Subject: Re: Osprey at Narrabeen
From: "Greg Clancy" <>
Date: Thu, 25 Aug 2005 13:30:13 +1000
Hi Steve,

A couple of years ago Neil Fifer photograped one of my colour-banded Ospreys at Narrabeen Lagoon.  I had banded it at Woodford Island near Maclean, on the Clarence River.  It was the longest movement recorded for the species in Australia.  I think that three birds were subsequently seen but none were carrying bands.  I hope observers are looking out for bands on this breeding pair.  There is a master colour (red or green) on the right leg with two other colours on the left.  It is important for people to note which colour is above which e.g blue over green or green over blue, as I use both possible combinations.

With respect to artificial nest platforms I have mixed feelings.  Certainly they have assisted in the recovery of the species in New South Wales from the 10-15 known pairs that I recorded during NPWS surveys in 1980-81 and nests on poles are more accessible for banding. However, they need artificial structures because their natural nest sites have been destroyed, along with all of the other plant and fauna species that usually co-exist with them. In the early eighties an Osprey nest in a partially dead tree also housed a roosting Barn Owl and a Squirrel Glider. It would be a sad day if very Osprey in New South Wales was born on a pole.

Regards

Greg