birding-aus

Is it time to move Birding Aus to Yahoogroups?

To: "'Birding Aus'" <>
Subject: Is it time to move Birding Aus to Yahoogroups?
From: "Gunnar Engblom (Kolibri Expeditions)" <>
Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2005 01:21:01 -0500

Dear all

My 2 cents.

I manage two yaho groups – birdingperu and INCASPIZA – and I have 0 spam to these accounts.

I can set the group to not allow attached archives. If you are not a member you cannot post. And I screen all members before they become members.

If there is nothing obvious that the e-mail of the person that wants to become a member (like or or similar ) I make a fast google search on the email  or the name and add “birds” as keyword. If I still do not get a positive id of the email in question I send back a request of the intentions of the subscriber (from an email address that I do not check that often and on which I do not mind spam) and some personal info.(eg Why do you want to become a member of the birding peru group?)

Yahoo also provides storage room for files etc for the group members. BUT.

In order to see the files (and pics) posted here you need to be a group member and you need to have a Yahoo ID.

To solve this problem (I do want others to access the files – and it is a bit complicated to have to become a Yahoo member to see the stuff) I created a special web-page (which I pay for) where pics and other files can be stored. This grew immensely and has now become a web-page for info regarding birding in Peru www.birding-peru.com – it is my big hobby nowadays to have this page up and running.

Gunnar

Gunnar Engblom-Lima, Peru.
Kolibri Expeditions–Birdwatching in
South America. More Birds!

http://www.kolibriexpeditions.com

www.birding-peru.com - checklist and data-base. Record your sightings on-line, forum, pictures, identification, Expedition Birding, etc.

Tel: +51 1 4765016 cel: 51-1-96437749 or 99007886