birding-aus

Re: Spam on birding-aus - questions answered

Subject: Re: Spam on birding-aus - questions answered
From: Terry Pacey <>
Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2005 09:33:03 +1000
I thought that I should set the record straight as to why I don't subscribe. There are two reasons.

The first is my health. It is not uncommon for me to be unable to access my email for periods of up to a month because of ill health. This means a load of email that can (on occasions) completely overload my in-box. It is easier to check the archives when I am well.

The second reason was the number of viruses that I was receiving from Birding-aus subscribers. I had my virus checker updated daily and my firewall was generally on so there weren't many times I actually got caught but once is enough.

I solved all those problems by switching to an Apple. And yes, I do run a virus checker to protect those who run PC"s from anything I might pass on.

As far as spam is concerned, I once ran two aliases on Birding-aus. (Night Parrot was NOT one of them.) I never received one spam message separate from what also appeared on the archives at either address. There was certainly no "harvesting" of my address from Birding-aus.

I use a spam filter of my own and have been since November. All spam is caught and placed in a folder for me to check. I have not had one wanted message deleted out during that period of time and only have had one or two a week slip through to my general folder.

Cheers

Terry Pacey

Gold Coast  Qld