birding-aus

Latham's Snipe at Port Fairy

Subject: Latham's Snipe at Port Fairy
From: Brendan Sydes <>
Date: Wed, 17 Aug 2005 12:11:47 +1000 (EST)
I visited Port Fairy yesterday at the invitation of
the South Beach Wetland and Landcare Group.  We were
lucky enough to see at least 4 and possible more
Latham's Snipe, apparently the first recorded arrivals
this year.

The birds were seen at the Powling Street Wetlands and
on the adjacent vacant land.  Locals have recorded
significant numbers in this area in recent years
(estimates of 200 - 300 birds at times in 2004).  We
also had great views of a Buff Banded Rail in the
wetland area.

The owner of the vacant land adjacent to the Powling
Street wetlands intends to subdivide and develop the
land in the near future - this spring-summer may be
the last chance to see the Snipe in such significant
numbers.

Brendan Sydes