birding-aus

[Fwd: Re: [BIRDING-AUS] Birdwatching at Mount Isa , NW Qld]

Subject: [Fwd: Re: [BIRDING-AUS] Birdwatching at Mount Isa , NW Qld]
From: Lynn <>
Date: Sun, 07 Aug 2005 18:30:01 +1000

Bob Forsyth wrote:

Afterwards we visited various areas of Lake Moondarra .. some are difficult to access - Painted Finches - 100s / (At the pool opposite the Booster Pump Station on way to the Dam wall/ - Cotton Pygmy-goose - 1 pair (/This pair are well out of territory & have been resident for several years)/
- Swamp Harrier - 1 pair        /  (A rare visitor)/
- Spotless Crake - 2               (/Well out of accepted territory)/
- Baillon's Crake - 2
- Black-tailed Godwit - 1          /(My first for Mount Isa)/
- Freckled Ducks - 24 /(An occasional visitor of recent years only)/ /-/ Mystery Raptor - 1 / (Back to us on the ground. Dark body, with a white streaked head,/
/                                             and flew as I blinked)/
// Hi Bob

I saw a Spotless Crake at Alice Springs sewerage works last year so I guess they can turn up anywhere if conditions are right. I also saw a Little Grass Bird on the Canning Stock Route , again , way out of "normal territory".

Could your mystery raptor have been a Swamp Harrier , your description sounds like it and they are often on the ground.

Cheers

Dick Jenkin
DUNGOG NSW

//