birding-aus

Birdwatching at Mount Isa , NW Qld

To: "Messages Birding-aus" <>
Subject: Birdwatching at Mount Isa , NW Qld
From: "Bob Forsyth" <>
Date: Sun, 7 Aug 2005 13:30:56 +1000
G'day all,

This year, I have been concentrating my Birding away from Mount Isa
These areas have included
- Alice Springs (recorded the Grey Honeyeater at Olive Pink Gardens)
- Broome         (recorded Gouldian Finches on the Dampier Peninsula with guide George Swann)
- Atherton Tablelands and Cape Tribulation down to Mackay (nothing extraordinary)

But last Tuesday ACT resident and world traveller John Penhallurick and owner of http://worldbirdinfo.net reactivated my local inertia.
After visiting the well publicised Mica & Sybella Creek locations for Ballara Grasswrens, John checked out the "new" area at the top end of Pamela Street. This is on the way up to the TV transmitters. He rang me on his mobile while they were still virtually underfoot. I grabbed a camera and shortly afterwards I was able to get some identifiable photos of one of several males. I did not see the female that John saw when he was phoning.

This location was "found" by recent Mount Isa resident Helen Morgan on her daily walks.
I have said many times " these Grasswrens are on all the local hills . but usually on the other side of the particular hill that you are searching !"

So
- Ballara Grasswren - 3            (At top end of Pamela Street near the Water tanks)

Afterwards we visited various areas of Lake Moondarra  .. some are difficult to access
- Painted Finches - 100s         (At the pool opposite the Booster Pump Station on way to the Dam wall
- Cotton Pygmy-goose - 1 pair (This pair are well out of territory & have been resident for several years)
- Swamp Harrier - 1 pair          (A rare visitor)
- Spotless Crake - 2               (Well out of accepted territory)
- Baillon's Crake - 2
- Black-tailed Godwit - 1          (My first for Mount Isa)
- Freckled Ducks - 24              (An occasional visitor of recent years only)
- Mystery Raptor - 1                (Back to us on the ground. Dark body, with a white streaked head,
                                             and flew as I blinked)

Regards from
Bob Forsyth
Mount Isa, NW Qld.

ps Note my new email address includes a zero in lieu of an "Oh"
pps For some birding locations around Mount Isa see Gazetteer section of http://www.birdsqueensland.org.au/
ppps The camera is a Panasonic NV-GS15 Video Camera with 24X Optical Zoom but "still photo shots" are saved onto a standard SD Flash Card.
        Its reaction types is quite quick.