birding-aus

Regent Honeyeater/Swift Parrot survey near Orange

To: "Birding-Aus" <>
Subject: Regent Honeyeater/Swift Parrot survey near Orange
From: "Stephen Gross" <>
Date: Sat, 6 Aug 2005 22:58:57 +1000
I went out today for the Regent Honeyeater/Swift Parrot survey around some local box woodland areas that I'd checked out in the July school holidays.

Ophir Reserve (about 25kms north-east of Orange) was pretty quiet with the white box areas completely dominated by Noisy Miners. I then headed out to Long Point on the Macquarie River (40kms NE of Orange). Noisy Friarbirds and White Plumed Honeyeaters were out in force and a few Little Lorikeets zipped around the area. I got good views of three Hooded Robin but only one Brown Treecreeper. Closer to the river a bird was making a few quiet calls from a tree. I caught a glimpse of black and yellow and then had perfect clear views of a Regent Honeyeater in all its stunning glory for the next minute or so as it perched and called from the tree. I hadn't really expected to find Regents or Swift Parrots but I suppose you never know what you'll find unless you get out there.

I didn't get any other views of either target species for the rest of the day as I headed west of Orange but that sighting kept me going for the rest of the day.

Steve Gross
Orange NSW