birding-aus

Yorke's Hollow, Brisbane CBD, Qld

Subject: Yorke's Hollow, Brisbane CBD, Qld
From: "Colin R" <>
Date: Fri, 05 Aug 2005 17:50:15 +1000
Hi All
Visited Yorke's Hollow this morning for the first time since April. Y
Hollow is located close to the RBH kinda sandwiched between Gregory Tce
and Victoria Park golf course (UBD map 18, K9) so it's pretty well CBD
Brisbane.
I visit here irregularly as it's close to work. I usually restrict
myself to 15 mins on site only - that's all it takes to walk around the
little overflow BCC designed pond that replaced the orig pond when the
bypass was put in. Over the last few years I have seen bird numbers and
species slowly increase in number and quality as the pond became part of
the landscape.
This morning I found a new species (for here) I was pretty pleased with
- a Buff-banded Rail feeding casually in the open on the grass beside
the bike path! There were also 6 Black Ducks (which have raised chicks
in the past) a pair of Moorhens - also bred successfully last year - the
resulting population boom of Swamphens - 6 today - from last year's
arrival and the resident (?) pair of Aust Grebes are nest building
again. 3 Tree Martins and 1 Welcome Swallow zooomed around while Noisy
Miners attacked a Crested Pigeon (why?) and Figbirds, Magpies and a Pied
Butcherbird hung out on the trees and fences. 1 Galah flew over but no
Rainbow or Scaly-breasted Lorikeets in my 15 mins this morning! Just
waiting now for the return of the two pairs of breeding Reed Warblers.
It's amazing what can turn up downtown!!
--
  Colin Reid

So many birds, so little time......